Vere Claiborne Chappell
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vere Claiborne Chappell (22 March 1930 - 28 January 2019) was an American philosopher and scholar specializing in early modern philosophy, history of philosophy, philosophy of mind and action, and metaphysics.
Vere Claiborne Chappell
|Died||January 31, 2019 (aged 88)|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Doctoral students||William Lycan|
In 2008 a collection of essays was published in honor of his work.
- Yale University - Assistant in Instruction (1954–55); Instructor (1955–57)
- University of Chicago - Instructor (1957–61); Assistant Professor (1961–63); Associate Professor (1963–68); Professor (1968–70)
- North Central College - Visiting Professor (Summer 1965)
- Indiana University - Visiting Professor (1967)
- University of Illinois, Chicago - Visiting Professor (1967)
- University of Illinois, Urbana - Visiting Professor (1968)
- University of Notre Dame - Visiting Professor (1969)
- University of Southern California - Visiting Professor (1969)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst - Professor (1970–2006); Emeritus (2006–)
- Smith College - Visiting Professor (1973; 1974)
- Mount Holyoke College - Visiting Professor (1982; 1983; 1985; 1988; 1990; 1991; 1992)
- Università per Stranieri di Siena - Exchange Professor (1993)
- Amherst College - Visiting Professor (1996)
- The Philosophy of Mind, edited with Introduction (Prentice-Hall, 1962); new ed. (Dover, 1981).
- The Philosophy of David Hume, edited with Introduction (Modern Library, 1963).
- Ordinary Language, edited with Introduction (Prentice-Hall, 1964); new ed. (Dover, 1981).
- Hume, edited with Introduction (Anchor Books, 1966).
- Twenty-five Years of Descartes Scholarship, 1960-1984: A Bibliography, with Willis Doney (Garland, 1987).
- Essays on Early Modern Philosophers: From Descartes and Hobbes to Newton and Leibniz, edited with Introductions. 12 Vols. (Garland, 1992).
- The Cambridge Companion to Locke, edited with Introduction (Cambridge University Press, 1994).
- Descartes's Meditations, edited with Introduction (Rowman & Littlefield, 1997).
- Locke, edited with Introduction (Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Hobbes and Bramhall on Liberty and Necessity, edited with Introduction (Cambridge University Press, 1999).
- Hoffman, P., Owen, G., and Yaffe, G. Contemporary Perspectives on Early Modern Philosophy. Broadview Press, 2008. ISBN 1-55111-662-6
- UMass Philosophy - Faculty, Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "Dr. Vere Chappell - Monday, January 28th, 2019". flynndagnolifuneralhomes.com. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Paul Hoffman, David Owen, and Gideon Yaffe (Editors), Contemporary perspectives on early modern philosophy: essays in honor of Vere Chappell. Archived July 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine Broadview Press, 2008; ISBN 1-55111-662-6