Scandola Nature Reserve
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Scandola Nature Reserve is located on the west coast of the French island of Corsica, within the Corsica Regional Park. The reserve was established in 1975. The park and reserve has been recognized by the United Nations as a Natural World Heritage Site, and was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1983.
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Part of||Gulf of Porto: Calanche of Piana, Gulf of Girolata, Scandola Reserve|
|Criteria||Natural: (vii), (viii), (x)|
|Inscription||1983 (7th session)|
The Scandola Reserve is situated on the west coast of Corsica between Punta Muchillina and Punta Nera and includes Cape Girolata and Cape Porto. The reserve covers an area of 19.19 km2 (7.41 sq mi) of which 9.19 km2 (3.55 sq mi) is land and 10 km2 (3.9 sq mi) is sea.
The reserve has two sectors, the Elpa Nera inlet and the peninsula of Scandola. The jagged and sheer cliffs contain many grottos and are flanked by numerous stacks and almost inaccessible islets and coves, such as Tuara. The coastline is also noted for its red cliffs, sand beaches, and headlands.
Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers.
In 1930, a law was passed prohibiting destruction or modification within Corsica Regional Park. Scandola Nature Reserve is strictly protected in order to return the area to its natural state.
- Bacar, H. "A survey of Existing and Potential Marine Parks and Reserves of the Mediterranean Region." 1977. IUCN/UNEP.
- Gryn-Ambroes, P. Preliminary Annotated Lists of Existing and Potential Mediterranean Protected Areas. 1980. UNEP/IUCN.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Réserve naturelle de Scandola.|
- "Scandola" (in French). Réserves Naturelles de France.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site profile
- UNEP-WCMC World Heritage Site datasheet 
- Pictures and description on https://web.archive.org/web/20070927231030/http://www.wikisailing.com/Ilot_Palazzu