Robert "Rob" C. Pike (born 1956) is a Canadian programmer and author. He is best known for his work on the Go programming language and at Bell Labs, where he was a member of the Unix team and was involved in the creation of the Plan 9 from Bell Labs and Inferno operating systems, as well as the Limbo programming language.
Rob C. Pike
|Born||1956 (age 63–64)|
|Known for||Plan 9, UTF-8, Go|
Pike, with Brian Kernighan, is the co-author of The Practice of Programming and The Unix Programming Environment. With Ken Thompson he is the co-creator of UTF-8. Pike also developed lesser systems such as the vismon program for displaying faces of email authors.
- "Dynamic generation and overlaying of graphic windows for multiple active program storage areas". Retrieved April 1, 2020.
- McIlroy, M. D. (1987). A Research Unix reader: annotated excerpts from the Programmer's Manual, 1971–1986 (PDF) (Technical report). CSTR. Bell Labs. 139.
- Pike, Rob; Dorward, Sean; Griesemer, Robert; Quinlan, Sean (2005-01-01). "Interpreting the Data: Parallel Analysis with Sawzall". Scientific Programming. 13 (4): 227–298.
- "Renee French – A River Runs Through It – Artist Interview". WOW x WOW. 27 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rob Pike.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Rob Pike|
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Unix Legacy – Slides of his presentation at the commemoration of 1000000000 seconds of the Unix clock.Archive on cat-v.org
- Systems Software Research is Irrelevant (a.k.a. utah2000) slidesps file
- Pike's personal homepage
- Pike's Google homepage
- Pike's page on cat-v.org
- Pike's page on C archive
- Questions and Answers with Rob Pike by Robin "Roblimo" Miller (published in Slashdot in October 2004)
- Interview on informit.comAnother interview
- Interview on evrone.com
- Interview on infoworld.com
- Interview on red-gate.com
- Interview on usesthis.com
- on YouTube (Google Tech Talks May 9, 2007)
- Structural Regular Expressions by Rob Pike slides
- The history of UTF-8 as told by Rob Piketext file
- on YouTube