Martyn C. Cowan
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Early life and educationEdit
Cowan was educated at Friends' School Lisburn and went on to study philosophy at undergraduate and postgraduate level at Queen’s University Belfast. He was a student on the Cornhill Training Course and trained for ordination at Oak Hill Theological College (MTh Distinction), and Union Theological College (PG Cert Min). He subsequently completed doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge with a dissertation entitled ’The prophetic preaching of John Owen from 1646 to 1659 in its historical context'.
He served as Assistant Minister in First Presbyterian Church, Saintfield, and Assistant to the Vacancy Convener in First Presbyterian Church, Portadown. He was appointed Lecturer in Historical Theology at Union College in June 2016 and ordained in December 2016.
- Review of John Owen and English Puritanism: Experiences of Defeat, by Crawford Gribben, Themelios 43.1 (2018): http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/review/john-owen-and-english-puritanism-experiences-of-defeat
- ‘The Reformation: Justification by fate alone’, The Irish Times, 17 Oct 2017. https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-reformation-justification-by-fate-alone-1.3257640
- John Owen and the Civil War Apocalypse: Preaching, Prophecy and Politics (Routledge, 2017). ISBN 9781138087767.
- Portrait of a Prophet: Lessons from the Preaching of John Owen (1616–1683) (St Antholin Charity Lectureship, Latimer Trust, 2016) ISBN 9781906327415
- ‘Introduction to the Old Testament Historical Books’ in NIV Proclamation Bible: Correctly Handling the Word of Truth (Hodder & Stoughton, 2013). ISBN 9780310437956
- ‘New World, New Temple, New Worship: The Book of Revelation in the Theology and Practice of Christian Worship’, published in three parts: Churchman 119.4 (Winter 2005), 297–312; Churchman 120.2 (Summer 2006), 159–176; Churchman 120.3 (Autumn 2006), 247–265.
- "Google Scholar – Martyn Cowan".
- Cowan, Martyn Cowan (2013). The prophetic preaching of John Owen from 1646 to 1659 in its historical context. University of Cambridge: Unpublished PhD dissertation.
- "EThOS Record".
- "Service of Licensing for Martyn Cowan at Railway Street Presbyterian Church".
- "Presentation to Martyn and Kathy Cowan 11 December 2016".
- "New Faculty Members for Union".
- "Fellows of the Royal Historical Society" (PDF).
- Gribben, Crawford (2018). "Review of Cowan's John Owen and the Civil War Apocalypse". Journal of the Northern Renaissance.
- "Martyn Cowan's Amazon Author Page".
- Hyde, Daniel (January 2017). "John Owen: Prayer as Politics By Other Means". Ad Fontes. 5.